Digital marketing skills are in high demand for businesses of all shapes and sizes. There are dozens of sub-skills in the digital marketing world. However the one that is the most in demand is that of SEO.
Some might be thinking that SEO is obsolete or dead. Don’t be mistaken, SEO is still important, it’s just as important now as it’s ever been, if not more so that it is probably the top of any other digital marketing skill.
So what is SEO?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization and it’s the process of refining your website using both on and off-page SEO techniques so that it will be indexed and ranked by search engines naturally.
When marketers, including myself, mention search engine they mostly refer to Google as it’s by far the web’s most dominant search engine.
So for SEO to succeed, websites not only need to achieve high ranking for relevant queries but also need to deliver on the expectation of the user behind those queries. But there is far more to SEO than just getting your website to show up for certain search queries.
Change in Google’s search algorithm
Because of all of the changes within the world of SEO due to the constant changes in Google’s search algorithm, which in turn change SEO practices, hiring a dedicated team of SEO experts has become close to an absolute necessity.
Below are links to some of the most important Google algorithm updates for search marketers:
- Google Mobilegeddon (Mobile Friendly Update), in April 2015.
- Google Pigeon Update, inJuly 2014.
- Google Hummingbird Update, released September 2013.
- Google Payday Update, in June 2013.
- Google EMD (Exact Match Domain) Update, in September 2012.
- Google Pirate Update, in August 2012.
- Google Penguin Update, in April 2012.
- Google Top Heavy Update, in January 2012.
- Google Panda Update, February 2011.
The way to think about these Google algorithm changes or updates is that search engines are built to serve people. People change, as our behaviour changes, technology evolves to keep up with our wants and needs. So, search engines have to change too.
Businesses do need an SEO dedicated person
Businesses need a person or a group who can keep up with the rapidly changing world of SEO. They are beginning to understand the importance of white-hat marketing techniques such as content marketing and guest blogging, which are becoming a critical part of SEO success.
There is a real need for experts who understand the importance of providing both value to the customer and the technical side of things. This requires staying on top of the almost constant changes to the search algorithms and best practices.
- Patel, N. (September 9, 2016) The 9 Digital Marketing Skills in High Demand Right Now [Online] Available: https://www.quicksprout.com/2016/09/09/the-9-digital-marketing-skills-in-high-demand-right-now/ [Accessed 30 July 2017].
- ComScore (March 16, 2016) comScore Releases February 2016 U.S. Desktop Search Engine Rankings [Online] Available: https://www.comscore.com/Insights/Rankings/comScore-Releases-February-2016-US-Desktop-Search-Engine-Rankings [Accessed 25 July 2017]